Thursday, January 24, 2008

Raising a Book Baby

I hate to brag, but I have a four-year old son who amazes me every day and a great job that allows me the flexibility that not many other single, working moms experience.

When my son was two months old, my maternity leave officially came to an end, or did it? I was able to bring him into the office with me until he was seven months old (just a bit too big to be expected to sit still - and stay quiet when I was on the phone).

Because he was with me in a professional environment, I feel that his verbal development excelled since he was privy to the adult conversations that were constantly taking place within the office.

This morning, as we were driving to pre-school, my son began reading the numbers on the buildings and houses to me as we drove past. He was very excited to be able to tell me all of the numbers he was seeing and to encourage him even more I said, "How did you get to be so smart?"

I didn't expect an answer but not even a second later he responded, in a very matter-of-fact tone, "It's because I read!"

He's right. Even though he's not reading words yet - to his dismay - he's started with numbers and the fact that he's quite fluent - and sounding out every word he sees - is all the encouragement I need to know that (so far) we're doing something right.

Check back in ten years from now...

No comments: