Thursday, March 13, 2008

National Open an Umbrella Indoors Day

Normally, I don't recommend to anyone that they open an umbrella inside, but today is National Open an Umbrella Indoors Day so I do encourage you, instead, to open a book about rain or umbrellas (or luck?).

Yellow Umbrella is of course the book I'm referring to from the Kane/Miller list. One of our first picture books from South Korea, and one of our titles with the most awards, this beautiful wordless picture book, with accompanying musical CD, is the perfect way to spend a rainy day or a quiet story time that involves listening in a whole new way.

From South Korea

By Jae Soo Liu
Music composed by Dong Il Sheen

My son opens his Spider-Man umbrella inside our house often (and usually while wearing rain boots and Spider-Man pajamas) but so far he hasn't broken any bones - knocking on wood - or had anything happen where I would consider him having bad luck. I'd be curious to learn if anyone truly believes in these superstitious ideas anymore. I know I still practice them...

No comments: