Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Banned Books Week

Typically, I celebrate banned books week by checking out a book from my local library (or pulling one off of my bookshelf at home) that is included in the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books that ALA mentions on their website under the Intellectual Freedom section.

Like many avid readers, I grew up with these books and I challenge each and every adult to read each and every one of the books from this list. Whether you agree with the ideas, values, or opinions that are expressed within these pages, I do believe there is something to be said for having the freedom to share one's thoughts, in writing, and having the equal right to close the cover of a book that might offend us, or make us feel uncomfortable in some way.

If you're not already familiar with the books on this list, or the fact that there is such a list, I encourage you to look it over. You'll find such classics included such as Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird as well as books by Judy Blume, Mem Fox, Stephen King and Mark Twain. You'll also find Where's Waldo? on this list so you just never know who or what might prompt a book to become "challenged."

No comments: