Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting Lucky in Vegas

I never win anything. Ever. Which is why I was so shocked when I sat down at one of the penny slot machines here in Vegas last night and won $177.00 on my first - and last - spin at that particular machine.

At first, I assumed I won 177 pennies so I was thinking to myself - as the machine added up the winnings with the sound of coins dropping - big deal, I won a lousy $1.77. As I watched the dollar amount increase on the screen in front of me, I realized that it was actually dollars that were adding up.

I immediately cashed out and excitedly sent a text message to everyone, who I thought would care, about my winnings. Of course, several people had to remind me that if I had only bet more than one penny per line (a whopping total of $0.21 was what I bet) I would've won a heckuva lot more money. Figures.

I was thrilled that I won something - since this has never happened to me before. My luck is beginning to change. At least that's what I've been telling myself ever since!

When I arrived at the Kane/Miller booth this morning at the ABC Kids Expo, I immediately wished I had the I Got Lucky stickers that we created a few years back when our picture book, Lucky, was first published.

The stickers said, "I Got Lucky in..." followed by a blank line. We had used these stickers at the promotional book fairs and trade shows we had attended, using the blank space on each sticker to write in the name of the city we were visiting.



Las Vegas would've been the perfect place for them (I Got Lucky in Vegas!), despite the fact that Lucky is not a new title.

Next year, remind me to bring more stickers! Or buttons! Or...well, you get the idea.

No comments: